Meta First Invest
  • Politics
  • Investing
  • Tech News
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
Editor's Pick

Elon Musk confirms Tesla has signed a $16.5 billion chip contract with Samsung Electronics

by admin July 29, 2025
by admin July 29, 2025 0 comment

Samsung Electronics has entered into a $16.5 billion contract for supplying semiconductors to Tesla, based on a regulatory filing by the South Korean firm and Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s posts on X.

The memory chipmaker, which had not named the counterparty, mentioned in its filing that the effective start date of the contract was July 26, 2025 — receipt of orders — and its end date was Dec. 31, 2033.

However, Musk later confirmed in a reply to a post on social media platform X that Tesla was the counterparty.

He also posted: “Samsung’s giant new Texas fab will be dedicated to making Tesla’s next-generation AI6 chip. The strategic importance of this is hard to overstate. Samsung currently makes AI4.TSMC will make AI5, which just finished design, initially in Taiwan and then Arizona.”

“Samsung agreed to allow Tesla to assist in maximizing manufacturing efficiency. This is a critical point, as I will walk the line personally to accelerate the pace of progress,” Musk said on X, and suggested that the deal with Samsung could likely be even larger than the announced $16.5 billion.

Samsung earlier said that details of the deal, including the name of the counterparty, will not be disclosed until the end of 2033, citing a request from the second party “to protect trade secrets,” according to a Google translation of the filing in Korean on Monday.

“Since the main contents of the contract have not been disclosed due to the need to maintain business confidentiality, investors are advised to invest carefully considering the possibility of changes or termination of the contract,” the company said.

The company’s shares rose over 6% in trading on Monday to reach their highest level since September 2024.

Tesla was a probable customer, Ray Wang, research director of semiconductors, supply chain and emerging technology at The Futurum Group, told CNBC before Musk’s post. Bloomberg News had earlier reported that Samsung’s deal was with Tesla, citing a source.

Samsung’s foundry service manufactures chips based on designs provided by other companies. It is the second largest provider of foundry services globally, behind Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company.

The company stated in April that it aimed to commence 2 nanometer mass production in its foundry business and secure major orders for the next-generation technology. In semiconductor technology, smaller nanometer sizes signify more compact transistor designs, which lead to greater processing power and efficiency.

Local South Korean media outlets have also reported that American chip firm Qualcomm could place an order for chips manufactured using Samsung’s 2 nanometer technology.

Samsung, which is set to deliver earnings on Thursday, expects its second-quarter profit to more than halve. An analyst previously told CNBC that the disappointing forecast was due to weak orders for its foundry business and as the company has struggled to capture AI demand for its memory business.

The company has fallen behind competitors SK Hynix and Micron in high-bandwidth memory chips — an advanced type of memory used in AI chipsets.

SK Hynix, the leader in HBM, has become the main supplier of these chips to American AI behemoth Nvidia. While Samsung has reportedly been working to get the latest version of its HBM chips certified by Nvidia, a report from a local outlet suggests these plans have been pushed back to at least September.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
admin

previous post
Blackstone Secures New Diamond Drill Rig to Advance Mankayan
next post
Ethereum Price History: A Decade of Disrupting Finance

You may also like

Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small...

August 28, 2025

Cracker Barrel will go back to old logo...

August 28, 2025

What a stake in Intel could mean for...

August 27, 2025

Frontier Airlines goes after struggling rival Spirit’s customers...

August 27, 2025

Cracker Barrel assures customers its values remain the...

August 26, 2025

U.S. could take stakes in more firms, White...

August 26, 2025

Trump flexes power over big business as U.S....

August 25, 2025

Crop tour projects record 2025 U.S. corn harvest,...

August 24, 2025
Join The Exclusive Subscription Today And Get Premium Articles For Free


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Recent Posts

  • Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

    August 29, 2025
  • Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

    August 29, 2025
  • Appendix 4E

    August 29, 2025
  • FY25 Preliminary Results Summary and Company Update

    August 29, 2025
  • Cracker Barrel will go back to old logo after conservative backlash

    August 28, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Copyright © 2025 metafirstinvest.com | All Rights Reserved

Meta First Invest
  • Politics
  • Investing
  • Tech News
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick